Wherever we are in our walk with God, we can always benefit from endeavouring to deepen our relationship with him and to invite him to come closer to us. In the Old Testament, the prophet Hosea wrote,
‘Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unploughed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until he comes and showers righteousness on you.’ Hosea 10:12 (NIV)
- As you journey through this season of Lent, where are you now on the journey?
- How are you feeling about yourself, your family/friends, your occupation, your community and your country? Record your thoughts and feelings in your journal.
- What are you thankful for in each of the above categories? Record your thankfulness in your journal.
- What can you praise God for in each of the above categories? Record your praises in your journal.
- What concerns do you have for each category? Record them in your journal.
- Then just as Hezekiah spread out the letter before the Lord (2 Kings 19:14) lay out your concerns before the Lord and ask him what he wants to say or reveal to you about each of them. Then pray for each category in the light of what you have received from God.
- Now, as you leave your thoughts and feelings, thanksgiving and praise and prayers safely in the hands of God, ponder on these words from Mother Teresa, ‘Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let’s begin.’ (In the Heart of God, New World Library, 1997, P.17)