Before we move on to consider five verses from the New Testament we are going to pause and take time to do a reflective exercise.
When I gave a similar exercise to a small prayer group I presented them with a handout with an outline of a heart on it. I had to confess that I was not artistic and even when drawing round an outline of a heart shape, I struggled to get a perfect outline, even though I tried various times and with different pens! Then I realised that none of us are perfect and some of us even have physically impaired hearts and so maybe the ‘errors’ were symbolic of this! So with this in mind I would like you to draw a heart shape and divide it into four sections, using either a piece of paper or your journal.
- I would like you to reflect back over the past few months, under the four categories of faith, family, fellowship and finances.
- Recall/reflect on the positive aspects of each category.
- Then consider the more challenging or negative aspects of each category.
- Next think about what you would like to see happen in each category in the following months.
- Finally listen to what God would say to you for each category for the following months.