And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. Matthew 6:12
The following is an imaginative contemplation on forgiveness:
- Read Luke 7:36-50 a few times to familiarise yourself with the story before entering into the imaginative exercise below:
- Imagine that you are at the dinner at Simon’s house.
- Take time to observe the scene as fully as possible.
- Notice the people, the food, the atmosphere.
- How many people are at the dinner?
- Where are Simon and Jesus sitting?
- Watch as the woman with the very expensive bottle of perfume enters the room.
- Observe her weeping, and the tears falling on the feet of Jesus and then drying his feet with her hair.
- See her pouring the perfume over his feet. As you see her do this, how do you feel about her actions? How do the other guests respond?
- You hear Jesus speak to Simon.
- You hear him speak to the woman, ’I forgive your sins.’
- ‘Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.’
- How do you feel as you see the woman departs?
- What are you thinking?
- Now Jesus comes over to you. How are you feeling?
- What do you want to say to him?
- Take your time and tell him what is on your heart and in your mind.
- Now hear him say to you, ‘I forgive your sins. Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.’